Wednesday 20 October 2010

Description of parody newspaper

PARODY NEWSPAPERS

I found it difficult to come across a parody newspaper as they are not too common. They are typically set as websites although they state being a newspaper website. The two I found were, The Onion and The Spoof.

The Onion

The Onion is an American news satire organization. 61 per cent of its web site readers are between 18 and 44 years old. Since 2007, the organization has been publishing satirical news audios and videos online, as the "Onion News Network". The articles consist of current events both real and fictional. It is a parody newspaper and uses much of its humour by using everyday events as newsworthy and using phrases ironically. A second part of the newspaper is a non-satirical entertainment section called The A.V. Club that features interviews and reviews of various newly released media, as well as other weekly features. The print edition also contains restaurant reviews and previews of upcoming live entertainment specific to cities where a print edition is published. I like that the Onion has a pastiche side to it which I want with my newspaper. It is slightly more parody than I would like my newspaper to be however is a very good example of a light hearted, fun newspaper.

The Spoof



The Spoof was created in 2001 and started slowly, with nearly all contributions coming from Paul. With Mark on board the editorial team strengthened mightily and, thanks to timing and good luck, the site really took off gaining the respect and attention of many tens of excellent spoof and satire writers. spoof focuses upon current affairs, sports, science, gossip and entertainment news but also on simple, good humor writing.

This story from The Spoof expresses true friendship and familiarity towards its reader. This is mainly done by talking to you and using informal writing. It goes as far to using swear words and rude comments almost as if you are talking to a friend. I don't know if I would use swear words in my newspaper as my target audience is fairly young but I will break the 4th wall rule and talk to the audience as this makes you more involved as a reader.

Conclusion
I read both websites thoroughly and realised the main difference between the two is that The Spoof has more fantasy stories whereas The Onion comics real life events. I hope that I could use a cross between the two in my newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment