Thursday 30 September 2010

Newspaper research

Newspaper Conventions



A newspapers front page must attract readers, re-enforce a newspapers identity for its readers, clearly define the newspapers point of view on the lead story and indicate what will be covered within the rest of the newspaper to sell the newspaper to the public. Print newspaper front covers are designed to sell to the public. They have to stand out next to all the others on the news stand.

THE SUN


The Sun uses bold colours and bold writing to catch peoples attention. Red is a very vibrant colour and I think it works effectively so I have decided to use this colour in my newspaper. This newspaper front cover doesn't really reveal too much information it is more of a teaser to what is inside. I do like that this newspaper is quite stereotypical and readers know what to expect from it. However the front cover is not emphasising a unique side to it what I want from my newspaper. One element I did copy from this front cover is the way they have used a picture and adapted it on photoshop to make a joke. They have removed John Reid's brain where as I have doctored David Cameron's nose to make him look like Pinnochio.

THE DAILY MIRROR


The Daily mirror is very similar to the Sun in its layout. It has the same bold colour red splashing out from the page. However the Daily mirror reveals even less on its front page mainly emphasising the main story. It expresses what it is about in three different story lines. Firstly being about celebrities with the heading 'Madonna', secondly discussing fashion and thirdly discussing true life stories. The newspaper front page is good at showing what to expect from it but not really giving much away. However with my front page I want to have more information and I want it to be busier so it stands out more to my age group.

THE DAILY EXPRESS


This front page doesn't really appeal to my taste. I find the colour scheme plain. The layout quite boring and standard. I also think the font is too formal for the content. It only shows one main story and doesn't really allow the reader to know what to expect. However the price is quite big and bold showing it is very cheap. This is a good way to attract an audience.

FREE PRESS


This newspaper 'Free Press' has a bold front cover. I like the layout as it is neat and gives all the relevant information. I decided to use this layout when making my newspaper front cover. It is good in how it attracts your attention. The main story is the most eye catching and from there on your eyes move around the less relevant information.


No comments:

Post a Comment